If you are creative, organized, empathetic, want to share with our students your culture and way of seeing the world, and if you dream of contributing to the transformation of Colombia, you can join our team.
We have a program for foreign volunteers in two modalities:
What characteristics do we look for in our volunteers?
- People who can be in the program for a minimum of six months and a maximum twelve months.
- Experience working with children.
- Certify English as your native language or certify a B2 level in English.
- Skills in the use of technology.
- B1/B2 level of Spanish.
- Able to work in a team and independently.
- Open to new cultures and cultural experiences
Why be a volunteer with us?
- Because you will develop new skills.
- It will be a great life experience.
- You can use your professional experience to benefit others.
- You will meet new people and make new friends.
- You will get to know a bit of Colombia, in particular, the paisa culture.
- You will feel gratitude for sharing with vulnerable communities.
- You will help us make a difference.
- You will gain confidence and self-esteem.
- You will have the opportunity to live in a Latin culture rich in natural resources and warm, loving people.
- You will have the possibility to discover an exotic country with a variety of climates, foods and places.
Responsibilities of our volunteers
- Full-time work (eight hours a week from Monday to Friday)
- Plan classes with the head teachers and support them in their classes.
- Assist in the planning of cultural or recreational events for the reinforcement of English or to deepen understanding of American culture with Spelling Bees, Valentine’s Day activities, as well as understanding of other cultures with Art Clubs, Passport Clubs, etc.
- Lead and plan English clubs to be given as an extracurricular activity.
- Lead and plan English classes for the Marina Orth Foundation staff
Responsibilities of The Foundation
- Assign a family to host you during your stay, who will provide you with accommodation and meals.
- Deliver a monthly stipend.
- Guarantee a workplace where you can give the best of yourself.
Steps to apply to be a volunteer
- Read and agree with all information provided about our volunteering program.
- Fill out the application form you will find here and send it to this email: [email protected]
- If we approve of your application, we will invite you to a Skype interview.
- After the Skype interview, we will send you an email notifying you if you were accepted into our volunteer program. In the acceptance email you will receive several documents that you must fill out in order to keep your spot, and also prepare for your arrival in Colombia. If interested, we will put you in contact with one of our volunteers contact one of our volunteers to tell you so that you can learn more about the experience and help you to resolve any doubts.
- When you arrive to Colombia you will have a training and orientation that will last approximately two weeks, so it is fundamental that in your planning you include these days to be on time with us. In addition, you must take into account that you will have fifteen days from the day of your arrival to present your passport at the immigration office to register your visa and request a foreigner identification card. A Foundation staff member will help you with this process.
We are a global melting pot, here’s where our volunteers come from:
Our Volunteers’ Testimonials:
“I think the most meaningful aspect of volunteering with Marina Orth was of course teaching and interacting with the students. Their curiosity and desire to learn was the most inspiring aspect of volunteering. My favorite memory was the last day in my tenth grade class when a boy came up to me and in perfect English said “I will never forget you.”
“I would 100% recommend this organization and volunteering to all of my friends!”
“What I enjoy most about volunteering with Marina Orth Foundation is definitely the feeling of doing something important for the local society. The most meaningful thing for me is to give people, both kids and adults, that want to learn more English an opportunity to learn and practice in our classes. In April, I helped a 14 year old boy pass a test in school, by having three private lessons with him. The interest and engagement he showed was amazing.”
“I would definitely volunteer again if I got the chance to. It is a perfect opportunity to get to know Colombia from the inside. That is why I would recommend this to all my family and friends.”
“I notice the biggest difference when a kid is super enthusiastic to show you the work he’s doing. Greeting and congratulating a kid who doesn’t get much attention at home on their progress makes a noticeable difference in their mood and feeling of self-worth.”
“I would definitely recommend volunteering to friends and family because the people in Colombia are the most genuine that I have met!”